The city of fashion
Among fields of wheat and sunflowers spread out between the gentle hills of Conero: Filottrano, The City of Fashion.
Enclosed by the ancient castle walls and tiny picturesque streets, the old town makes Filottrano a unique village.
ART AND TRADITIONS
On Saturday mornings you can visit the permanent exhibition dedicated to WWII relics which is held at the Town Hall. The Church of “Santa Maria degli Angeli” hosts a permanent exhibition of nativity figurines from Lecce. The “Museo del Birocciolo Marchigiano”, a museum with a two-wheeled chariot decorated by the best craftsmen of the Marche Region, is open every first Sunday of the month. For more information contact 348 5226262.
Filottrano is a city deeply linked to its traditions and folklore. In July you can taste genuine country cooking at the “Festa della Trebbiatura” festival, and don’t miss the historical pageant “Contesa dello Stivale” on the first Sunday of August.
FILOTTRANO, THE CITY OF FASHION
Until the 50s Filottrano was based on a rural economy, then thanks to a pioneer of the textile industry it was transformed into a city of fashion, particularly men’s fashion.
For years the phrase “Made in Filottrano” has been represented by great tailors and manufacturing companies, who have become particularly specialized in men’s fashion. Some of these have become very well known brands. In Filottrano, there are many factory outlets where you can go shopping.
What to do? Filottrano ?
- ST. CHRISTOPHER CHURCH One of the oldest churches in Filottrano, built around the year 1000.
- Corso del Popolo
- CHURCH OF SAINT MARY OF THE ANGELS Built on a testamentary legacy by Giovanni Batti- sta Gentiloni (mid-eightenth century).
- BELTRAMI MUSEUM AND BIROCCIO MARCHIGIANO MUSEUM AT BELTRAMI LUCCHETTI PALACE The Palazzo is home to the Biroccio and Beltrami Museums. Visits must be booked in advance. Info: Proloco Filottrano / Tourism Office.
- ST. MICHAEL CHURCH The church dedicated to St. Michael, the city’s patron saint, was built at the end of the 18th century
- TOWN HALL
- 9 JULY SQUARE
- CHURCH OF ST. MARY OF THE ASSUMPTION Headquarters of the Provost outside of the city’s walls. Inside there are paintings by Ernst Van Schayck, a Flemish painter of the seventeen- th century
- ST. FRANCIS CHURCH Built in 1531 to house the smaller convent friars.
- CHURCH OF THE SACRED STIGMATA Built in the 18th century in Baroque style, it has an ancient crucifix inside that, according to the faithful of the 1700s, moved its eyes. Info: Proloco Filottrano.
- SANCTUARY OF MADONNA DI TORNAZZANO The church dates back to 1350, and has a Neogothic shape. It conserves a canvas depicting the Madonna with Child (15th century) and a stone which the saint sat on
- Villa Centofinestre
- SAINT PAOLINABetween 1911 and 1913, on a plateau of the medie- val Musone valley in San Paolina di Filottrano, the remains of an important inhabited centre dating back to the Bronze Age (1800-1100 a.C.)
- SAINT CHIARA CHURCH
- Comune di Filottrano
Via Roma, 6 - 60024 Filottrano (AN)
+39071722781 - email@example.com - www.comune.filottrano.an.it