A peaceful village
This hamlet of ancient origins lies on the top of the gentle Marche hills, and was named after the god of crops, Fanum.
Here you can enjoy a spectacular view of the typical Marche landscape: rolling hills and valleys, vineyards, sunflowers and wheat fields.
An artistic and cultural village, Montefano gave birth to the photographer of celebrities “Arturo Ghergo” and hosts a nineteenth-century theatre designed by “Tombolini”, the technical director of “Teatro La Fenice” in Venice.
The local historical pageant “Palio delle Contrada” is held here every year in July.
The ancient walls and tower of Montefano are still visible. Strolling through the alleys of the city, you can admire the typical red brick houses.
The house where Pope Marcello II was born is also in Montefano. We suggest you visit the two examples of Baroque style churches: the “Collegiata di San Donato” (where a piece of the cross St. Donato was crucified on is conserved) and the “Chiesa di San Filippo”.
The Ghergo Museum is located in the Palazzo dei Priori in Montefano, on the ground floor, under the splendid loggia overlooking the heart of the town, Piazza Bracaccini, in the building that was formerly the Town Hall
What to do? Montefano ?
- COLLEGIATE CHURCH OF SAN DONATO It was built in 1768. The interior is in a late Baroque style with a single nave with a barrel vault, and is full of stucco decorations and frescoes.
- CHURCH OF THE MADONNA OF THE ANGELS Outside the historic centre, it was built in 1612 and commissioned by the Municipal Administration.
- CHURCH OF ST. PHILIP BENIZI AND THE SERVANTS OF MARY CONVENT The Church was inaugurated in 1703 and has a Baroque interior. The convent has been home to the “Giovanni Vannucci” Biblical Studies Centre since 1995.
- CHURCH OF ST. MARY OF THE ASSUMPTION The interior conserves several canvases inclu- ding the Assumption of the Virgin by Simone de Magistris (1569-1570).
- Torciano Fountain
- La Rondinella Theatre
- POPE MARCELLUS II’S Birthplace Marcello Cervini was born here on 6 May 1501; he rose to the papal throne in 1555 for only 22 days, under the name Marcellus II
- SLOPING TOWER Built in 1453
- Palazzo Carradori Olivi
- Palazzo Pallotta
- Comune Montefano Ufficio Informazioni
c.so carradori, 26
+39 0733852930 - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pro Loco Montefano
Piazza bracaccini,1 - 62010 Montefano (MC)
Tel. +39 0733851169 - +39 3312013313 - email@example.com